Regulated Industries & Professional Licenses
We understand that not all industries and professions are governed by the same rules. Our lawyers have a long history of helping companies and persons in highly regulated environments ranging from political candidates to healthcare professionals to corporations permitted and licensed by federal and state entities. We regularly provide compliance counseling for clients facing new laws and regulations, and we proactively work with regulators and government affairs professionals on behalf of our clients. If necessary, we assist clients in court and before administrative bodies in disputes over laws and regulations that govern particular industries and individuals.
Many of our attorneys worked in state and federal government positions before joining the Robbins Firm and, as a result, are able to offer our clients a high degree of expertise and familiarity in navigating the complex regulatory environments in which they operate.
Specific areas of expertise include healthcare regulation, gaming, professional licensing boards, alcoholic beverages, securities regulation, and land use.
- Before the Georgia Public Service Commission, we represent an association of Georgia telecommunications companies in matters involving the Universal Access Fund and broadband access.
- On behalf of a gas marketer, we obtained the reversal of the Fulton County of Superior Court’s decision to reverse a favorable decision before the Public Service Commission in Infinite Energy, Inc. v. Marietta Nat. Gas, LLC, 349 Ga. App. 343 (2019).
- As amicus curiae, we successfully argued that the Georgia Supreme Court should reverse a Court of Appeals and trial court ruling on the application of statutes governing Georgia’s E-911 funding, which set new precedent in Georgia for issues of tax and statutory construction. Bellsouth Telecommunications, LLC v. Cobb Cty., 305 Ga. 144 (2019).
- Federal Election Commission: We represent the campaign committees of a United States Senator on matters involving compliance with federal election laws.
- Georgia Lottery Corporation: We frequently represent owners of coin operated amusement machines in disputes and compliance matters with the Georgia Lottery Corporation. In one landmark lawsuit, we successfully argued that the Georgia General Assembly did not invalidate thousands of owners’ contracts with industry-changing legislation passed in 2013. We also have been on the leading edge of Lottery’s new arbitration regime for dispute resolution, successfully representing master licensees in arbitrations against location licensees around the state.
- Department of Community Health: We represent healthcare providers in matters involving Georgia’s Certificate of Needs law, as well as other regulatory matters before the Department. We have successfully defended and challenged Certificates of Need and regulations that govern their award.
- Georgia Composite Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists: Our firm successfully represented a formerly licensed therapist who, upon applying for reinstatement, faced a potential public reprimand for unlicensed practice. In response, the Firm helped the client clarify key events, leveraging witness accounts and documentary evidence to convince the Composite Board to overturn its earlier decision, allowing our client to obtain reinstatement and avoid public reprimand.
- Department of Revenue: We have assisted alcoholic beverage retailers with matters before the Department of Revenue, including obtaining relief when state regulators sought to revoke licenses.
- Georgia Board of Nursing: Assisted numerous Excelsior School of Nursing graduates obtain licenses from the Georgia Board of Professional Registered Nurses.
- Georgia Composite Medical Board: Successfully represented physicians investigated by the Medical Board.
- Georgia Board of Pharmacy: Successfully represented pharmacists with licensure investigations by the Pharmacy Board.
- Georgia Department of Banking and Finance: Represented mortgage loan officers subject to cease and desist orders by the Department.
- Georgia Board of Dentistry: Represented dentists subject to investigations by the Board of Dentistry.