Our expertise in education law is unsurpassed. We have represented the State of Georgia, the Georgia Department of Education, school districts, institutions of higher education, national charter school management companies, and superlative charter schools, including Georgia Cyber Academy and Charles R. Drew. Our education law practice includes:
- Board governance, bylaws, and resolutions
- Board policy
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (Alexa Ross served as lead counsel in Mandy S. v. Fulton County School District, 205 F. Supp.2d 1358 (2000), aff’d, 273 F.3d 1114 (11th Cir. 2001).)
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Title IX
- Student harassment
- Community – business partnerships
- Open Records Act compliance
- Open Meetings Act
- Federal funding
- State funding
- Employment and personnel matters
Representative Clients and Matters:
- We represent the State of Georgia in a case brought in federal court by the United States Department of Justice regarding Georgia’s voluntary provision of specialized therapeutic services to children with psychoeducational needs.
- A metro-Atlanta board of education hired our firm to review its records regarding a three-year Individuals with Disabilities Act dispute. We found close to seven figures in unexplained costs.
- The firm serves as general counsel to Georgia Cyber Academy, the largest online public school in the country.
- We recently won an RFP to serve as general counsel to Charles R. Drew Charter School.
- We have mediated dozens of special education disputes.