Richard has been involved in a broad spectrum of business litigation and arbitrations throughout the country, from Georgia and Florida to Hawaii to Maine. Richard has particular experience in real estate litigation, technology litigation, and restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation, but handles business litigation of any type. Many of his cases have commanded substantial media interest, and Richard is well versed in handling the public relations aspects of significant disputes.
Richard has substantial trial experience, typically handling several trials and arbitrations a year. Most recently, Richard’s trials have included:
- Technology Contract Arbitrations
- Trade Secrets Arbitration
- Executive Contract Arbitration
- Partnership Dispute Jury Trial
- Executive Contract Jury Trial
- Office Landlord Jury Trial
- Rezoning Trial
- Numerous TRO and Injunction Hearings
Other major matters which Richard has recently handled included professional liability claims, both plaintiff and defense; numerous zoning and permitting disputes on large scale commercial projects; fraud and RICO claims against borrowers, lenders and partners; securities fraud claims, both plaintiff and defense; and guaranty litigation involving in excess of $150 million in loans.
Richard serves on the Board of Directors of Nicholas House, an organization which assists homeless families in achieving self-sufficiency, and also serves as a business partner for inner-city schools in Atlanta.
Richard is an honors graduate of Harvard Law School, where he served as Articles Editor of the Harvard Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree magna cum laude from Furman University. After graduation from law school, Richard served as law clerk to the Honorable Paul H. Roney of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits.
- J.D., with honors, Harvard Law School, 1980
- Articles Editor, Harvard Law Review
- B.A., magna cum laude, Furman University, 1977
Selected Publications and Presentations
Richard has written articles and spoken at seminars on a wide variety of topics, including eminent domain, real estate contract disputes, zoning, business loss and valuation, employment law, intellectual property, health care litigation and technology. He is an instructor in an intensive trial practice course offered annually at Emory University School of Law. Publications include:
- Model Employee Policies for Georgia Employers, With Legal Commentary, published by Georgia Chamber of Commerce, 1997 (co-authored with Lisa C. Jern)
- “Challenging A Rezoning Decision,” published by CLE International
- “The Georgia Omnibus AIDS Act: Restrictions on Disclosure of AIDS Confidential Information,” 35 The Atlanta Lawyer 18 (co-authored with Katherine Meyers Cohen)
- “An Update on ERISA Law,” published by Institute of Continuing Education in Georgia
- “Developments in ERISA Preemption and Managed Care,” published by CLE International
- “Valuation of Business Damages,” published by CLE International
- “Business Valuation,” published by CLE International
- “ADR v. Litigation – Professionalism Considerations,” published by Cobb County Bar Association
- “Preparing Your Damages Case,” published by CLE International
- “Georgia Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation by Atlanta Magazine
- “Legal Elite” in Business Law by Georgia Trend Magazine
- The Best Lawyers in America